Super bowl is almost here, meaning Americans are getting ready to get together, cheer…and gorge.
This Super Bowl Sunday – why not lighten up your snack offerings with this quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Bites recipe?
3 super easy swaps make this recipe a fan favorite that’s delicious and not that bad for you:
- Subbing in chicken breast instead of greasy wings
- Fat free cream cheese cuts calories but maintains texture and taste
- Whole wheat panko breadcrumbs give a crispy, finish line crunch
I use Kikkoman Whole Wheat panko, which has 3 grams dietary fiber per 1/2 cup serving.
For more Superbowl Snack Makeover tips, check out my segment from Ch 6 Wake Up San Diego.
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Bites
Yield: Makes 30 Bites
- 32 oz chicken breast, raw
- 12 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup green onions, diced
- 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat panko
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring pot of water to a boil, add chicken breast and cook until cooked, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly and shred cooked chicken breast with a fork or fingers.
- In mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, green onions, and hot sauce. Use electric mixer to combine ingredients.
- Place flour in small bowl, egg white in a second small bowl, and whole wheat panko in a third. Roll chicken mixture into golf ball sized ball, dip in flour, then egg white, and finally panko to coat.
- Place chicken bites on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until crust is slightly browned.
- Eat your heart out!
1 serving is 1 Crispy Buffalo Chicken Bite
- 75 calories
- 1 g fat
- 6 g carbohydrate
- 1 g dietary fiber
- 10 g protein