Although most fruits give off an indisputable summer vibe, figs are undoubtedly popular in the colder winter months (figgy pudding, anyone?). Enjoyed in desert regions for centuries, figs are much loved by the peoples of the Middle East and form a crucial part of their diet. Below, we take a look at many of the remarkable health benefits of figs and explain why they’re a great addition to your kitchen cupboards.
As one of the most naturally beautiful fruits out there, figs boast a deep purple coat and bright red seeds. You immediately notice its sweet and succulent taste when you bite into a fig. Love Struck’s CaFiend smoothie brings figs together with oats, bananas, and maple to provide you with an indulgent energy boost. So, as well as being incredibly tasty, let’s look at why figs are good for you.
The benefits of figs
Figs have a range of incredible health benefits, making them a fruit to take notice of. Some of its health benefits include:
- Fibre – figs are loaded with fibre and are great for your gut. They also help you feel fuller for longer, reducing the need to snack.
- Pre-biotic – As well as fibre, figs contain pre-biotics, meaning they’re extremely good for your gut microbiome.
- Hair and skin – Thanks to the copper, zinc, and iron found in figs, they’re a good natural source of nutrients for your hair.
- Antioxidants – Figs help your body fight off infection as they’re rich in Vitamins A & K, which are antioxidants.
- Bone strength – Figs are high in calcium, potassium, and magnesium, which all contribute to the strength of your bones.
- Blood pressure – The fact that figs are high in fibre means they can lower your blood pressure.
- Improved sleep – The amino aid tryptophan is found in figs, which creates melatonin. In other words, they can help to induce sleep.
Ultimately, it’s impossible not to be impressed by the myriad health benefits of figs. While they’re delicious when enjoyed as they are, consider working some figs into your morning smoothie for that delicious and nutritious boost you’ve been looking for.