Looking to see your valentine a little better this year? Check out this quick and easy butternut squash and carrot soup: packed with flavor and containing more than 500% of your daily value for vitamin A, it will have you seeing straight in no time!
Vitamin A Vision Soup
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 large butternut squash
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tbs garlic, minded
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs reduced-fat sour cream
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Split butternut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and roast squash, face up for one hour or until tender. Remove skin, cube squash. Reserve half of squash for later use.
- Cover soup pot bottom with olive oil cooking spray. Sweat onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for another 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add 1/2 of roasted squash (about 3 cups cubed) and chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. Puree with immersion blender.
- Portion and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro sprig.
Makes 4 two-cup servings, per serving:
- 114 calories
- 7 g fiber
- 2 g protein
- 547% DV for Vitamin A (8,203 mcg)