Psoriasis is a common skin disorder that has symptoms ranging from mild to acute. People who have psoriasis are usually self-conscious, suffering from the embarrassment and discomfort brought by this skin condition. Tea tree oil can be used as an effective treatment for psoriasis.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a persistent autoimmune skin disorder of the skin, nails, and, in certain cases, the joints. This condition occurs when the body grows skin cells at a rapid rate and fail to shed them fast enough. As a result, the skin builds up and pushes outward which leads to dry, silvery, and itchy patches of skin.
Besides the cracked, thickened, and itchy skin, individuals with psoriasis may also suffer from joint inflammation and abnormal nail growth. Some sufferers reported feeling a burning sensation on their affected skin. The symptoms may occasionally improve. At times the condition could turn severe. This is referred to as a flare-up. Certain events known as triggers can cause psoriasis to flare up. It could be an infection, an injury, or even stress. It is different for each sufferer. What triggers one’s psoriasis to flare up may be unlike another person’s with a similar condition.
Since there is presently no cure in sight for psoriasis, sufferers must restrict their day to day activities and experience depression as a result. The good news is there are available treatments to help alleviate the symptoms of psoriasis. Dermatologists often prescribe treatments to decrease inflammation and alter the body’s immune response. Some medicines normalize skin cell growth. Creams or ointments applied to the skin encourage the shedding of excess skin and hasten healing. Some patients find UV light therapy useful under their doctor’s management. Though there is no complete cure for psoriasis yet, there is a way of relieving the symptomatic discomfort to its greatest effect. This simple treatment is through the use of tea tree oil.
How is Tea Tree Oil Beneficial for Psoriasis?
Tea tree oil can benefit psoriasis sufferers in many ways.
- Tea tree oil helps shed off the dry and flaking skin cells.
- The oil has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiseptic properties that can alleviate symptoms like itching, burning, and redness.
- It softens the thick skin patches to reduce itching.
- It helps regulate the body’s production of skin cells.
- Swelling and redness are relieved by its anti-inflammatory properties.
- The oil gets deep under the skin to minimize the appearance of scar tissues.
Suggested Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Psoriasis
Below are some tea tree oil home remedies used for the control of psoriasis flare-ups. Pick the one you think is best for you and stick to a regular treatment schedule to get your desired results.
Direct application of Tea Tree Oil
Undiluted tea tree oil applied directly can cause burning sensation and irritation of the skin. The best thing to do is to thin the oil with water or any of the several carrier oils. This treatment can provide symptomatic relief for psoriasis on the skin, scalp, and nails. Requirements:
- Tea tree oil
- Water or carrier oil
- Combine a few drops of tea tree oil with water.
- Wet a cotton ball with the mixture and apply to the affected areas of your skin.
- Leave it overnight on your face and wash it off the following morning.
- Pat dry your skin with a clean towel. Reduce dryness by applying natural moisturizers like coconut oil or olive oil. You can add a few drops of tea tree oil to these natural moisturizers to maximize their effectiveness.
- Repeat this procedure every day.
Tea Tree Oil, Coconut Oil, and Lavender Oil
Coconut oil contains an abundance of medium-chain fatty acids that help keep the dry and flaking skin of psoriasis moisturized. It provides an antibiotic effect due to its lauric acid content. Lavender oil, on the other hand, relieves itching and inflammation on the psoriasis-affected patches. This application can be used on larger affected skin areas like the back, legs, and elbows. Requirements:
- Virgin coconut oil – 1 oz.
- Lavender oil – 5 drops
- Tea tree oil – 10 drops
- Put all the oils in one bottle and shake until completely blended.
- Apply a few drops of the blended oils on the affected area. Gently massage.
- Keep the oil on your face for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Repeat this procedure once to twice daily.
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for Scalp Psoriasis
At least half of the people who have psoriasis suffer from scalp psoriasis. It can be mild and affect a small scalp area. It can also be severe to affect the entire area of the scalp. It can gradually go over the hairline and affect areas behind the ears and down the neck. This tea tree oil shampoo is effective in treating scalp psoriasis. For best results, use a mild shampoo that contains fewer chemical-based ingredients. Requirements:
- 1 part of tea tree oil
- 10 parts of mild shampoo
- Combine 1 part of tea tree oil to 10 parts of mild shampoo in a bottle. Blend it well.
- Use the blend to shampoo your hair and scalp. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair.
- Repeat the procedure on a regular basis.
As an alternative, you can use a mild shampoo that already includes tea tree oil in its formulation.
Tea Tree Oil Mixed with Other Essential Oils
This blend is a combination of tea tree oil and different essential oils that are known to relieve the symptoms of psoriasis. This blend is recommended for use as a regular moisturizer. Requirements:
- 4 – 6 ml of tea tree oil
- 3 drops of German chamomile
- 100 ml of aloe vera gel
- 4 ml patchouli
- 10 ml each of lavender oil, bergamot oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and avocado oil
- Combine the oils together in one bottle and mix well.
- Cover the bottle and leave the blend to settle overnight.
- After bathing, apply the oil blend sparingly on the affected areas.
- Gently rub the oil into the skin and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Repeat the procedure daily after each bath.
Tea Tree Oil Psoriasis Scars Reduction
Psoriasis leaves scars on the skin that can be unsightly and embarrassing. Using tea tree oil can minimize the number of these scars. While results may not be instant, the diligent application can get you positive results. If the blend causes irritation, add more coconut oil. For stubborn scars, add more tea tree oil to the blend. Requirements:
- 15 drops of tea tree oil
- 30 ml of coconut oil
- Mix together the required amounts of tea tree and coconut oils.
- Apply the oil on the scars and leave it there overnight.
- Wash off the oil in the morning.
The Bottom Line
To ensure that you’re not allergic to tea tree oil, apply some on a small area of your skin. If you feel some reactions like itching or burning, then do not use tea tree oil for your condition. If you don’t get any allergic reaction, then the oil is safe to use. The best recommendations for psoriasis flare ups is to cut cigarette consumption, keep your stress at a manageable level, and control your weight. Also, read about the Possible Side Effects of Using Tea Tree Oil