Hot on the heels of Taco Bell pulling their ad chastising veggie-toting football-watching fans comes the Wall Street Journal’s 22 Super Bowl Party Rules.
Rule 7. A good Super Bowl prank is to show up with big bowl of kale salad and yell, ‘WHO’S READY FOR SOME KALE SALAAAADDD!!!”
Now, what’s ironic about Rule 7, is that it’s the Wall Street Journal’s very own Kale, Cabbage and Carrot Salad that I am currently, really into.
When you have a blog on dietary fiber, you get PSYCHED if the WSJ hypes kale!
This recipe, from the Slow Food Fast column January 5, 2013 by Chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern has it all: homemade mayonnaise-based dressing, a marriage of cruciferous and dark green leafy vegetables, not to mention that it’s one of those rare salads that gets better the longer it’s allowed to marinade.
Here are the details:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- tablespoon caper pickling liquid
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed to a paste
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2tablespoons snipped chives (optional)
- 1/4 head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, basil, chives or dill (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolk with mustard. While whisking constantly, slowly dribble in oils. Continue whisking until oil is fully incorporated and mixture is thick and pale in color.
- Whisk in capers, pickling liquid, garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste and snipped chives, if using.
- In a large bowl, combine all vegetables and herbs, if using. Add dressing and toss, using both hands to mix until dressing coats all ingredients. Allow salad to marinate until vegetables soften, at least 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information (makes 6 servings):
- 225 calories
- 19 g fat (relax…it’s good fat)
- 12 g carbohydrate
- 3.5 g dietary fiber
- 175 mg sodium
- 3.5 g protein
So this Super Bowl – make a stand, break some rules, and bring kale salad.
They’re going to secretly LOVE you.