A shower steamer is a means of aromatherapy where aromatic products or plants such as essential oils are used to improve an individual’s psychological well-being.
Expectedly, the major constituents of shower steamers are essential oils coupled with other minor ingredients which all contribute reasonably to what a shower steamer is and what it does.
I said this before, and permit me to say it again, that the essential oils are the principal ingredients in aromatherapy shower steamer that give therapeutic effects on mental health.
Interestingly, you can make your own shower steamers hands down because the procedure is pretty straightforward.
Let us get the show on the road.
Relaxing Aromatherapy Shower Steamers Recipe With Essential Oils
Asides from the essential oils and the major ingredients that make up an aromatherapy shower steamer, there are several other materials you have to get ready.
Check out the necessary ingredients and materials below:
- Gloves and face cover(optional)
- Silicone soap molds
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Baking Soda
- Citric Acid
- Essential Oils
- Sorbital oleate
Basic Recipe For A Shower Steamer
- 225g of baking soda/sodium bicarbonate
- 200g of citric acid
- 70g of sorbitan oleate
- Approximately 260 drops of essential oils- more or less, you choose!
- A quarter to half a teaspoon of mica powder(colorant).
Essential Oils Recipe for A Shower Steamer That Helps You Relax
- Half teaspoon of violet mica
- 50 drops of rose geranium essential oil
- 80 drops of lavender essential oil
- 25 drops of black spruce essential oil
Essential Oils Recipe for A Shower Steamer That Improves Sleep
- Half teaspoon of blue mica
- 30 drops of vetiver essential oils
- 15 drops of cypress essential oils
- 55 drops copaiba oleoresin
- 100 drops of botanical vanilla extract
Essential Oils Recipe for A Shower Steamer That Keeps You Calm
- A quarter teaspoon of aqua mica
- 30 drops of lavender essential oils
- 50 drops of patchouli essential oils
- 120 drops of bergamot essential oils
Essential Oils Recipe for A Shower Steamer That Boosts The Energy
- Half teaspoon of yellow mica
- 30 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 65 drops of tangerine essential oil
- 15 drops of balsam fir essential oil
- 90 drops of sweet orange essential oil
Actions of The Principal Ingredients In A Shower Steamer
1. Citric Acid And Baking Soda
These components of shower steamers have the highest percentage of all ingredients. The combination of these two maintains any shape you mold them into.
Also, the presence of citric acid makes it possible for the essential oils to diffuse into the air upon contact with water.
Otherwise, we will just have our shower steamer mold intact without it performing the intended benefits.
Shower steamers without citric acid are susceptible to crumbling because they won’t be hardened enough.
2. Essential Oils
These are the highest performing ingredients of a shower steamer. Essential oils are the ingredients of shower steamers that offer the aromatherapy functions.
The higher the quality of an essential oil, the stronger the smell which makes it linger in the air for a longer period.
3. Sorbitan Oleate
This is made from olive oil and sorbitol and it is an active ingredient in the recipe of shower steamers.
Sorbitan oleate is responsible for holding the dry ingredients together and is the one that facilitates the diffusion of the essential oils.
This ingredient is not toxic, does not irritate and it is biodegradable- these properties make it a very safe to be used in skin care products.
How To Make Your Shower Steamer
To make your shower steamers, combine the dry ingredients first and add colorants to it, then mix thoroughly before you set it aside.
Mix the liquid ingredients together also, then pour over the dry ingredients and whisk them together till they have properly mixed.
Stuff up your silicone mold with the mixture till there is no room for more. Leave to dry and unmold after 48 hours.