Prohormones have been used by many athletes over the years because of their amazing benefits to an individual’s physical fitness and performance. It has been said that prohormones can cause an increase in muscularity and improve endurance as compared to an individual who does not use any hormonal supplements. These supplements have been used for quite some time now, but are the pros and cons of these supplements?
What are Prohormones?
Prohormones are among the most potent muscle builders on the planet. They are extremely complicated and diverse, and yet there’s a huge lack of information surrounding them. In this detailed article, you’ll learn about these incredibly complex and powerful substances by understanding how they work as well as the benefits and drawbacks of prohormones.
Prohormones are a class of chemical compounds known as hormones, which play a significant role in several biological processes. Some of the more prominent ones in the body include growth hormones, thyroid hormones, insulin, and luteinizing hormone (LH). It’s also worth mentioning that prohormones can also act as precursors to other hormones and may even be necessary for triggering or facilitating reproduction in the female body. Prohormones play a crucial role in some bodily processes and are often used in tandem with certain vitamins and minerals. So how does a prohormone work and what sort of effects can it potentially have on the body?
- To put it simply, prohormones work by binding to receptors on target cells, inducing them to rapidly increase their size—sometimes in an instant. This effect is commonly seen in muscle tissue when weight training is performed and is often referred to as ‘overtraining.’
- The exact mechanisms by which this works aren’t completely known, but are likely affected by the presence of additional compounds that can also act in the same way.
- The effects of prohormones can be maximized during periods of physical stress or exercise.
What are the Cons of Prohormones?
So, what are the drawbacks of taking prohormones? To begin with, they are extremely potent and it is not uncommon to see a person experience serious side effects from taking these supplements. One of the most common side effects of their use is that they can cause the production of testosterone, androstenedione (TTH) to increase beyond the normal rate. This is why they are often prescribed in conjunction with powerful anabolic steroids. The result of this increased hormone levels may be damaging to the heart and brain.
- These side effects occur because, during the actual manufacture of these supplements, there are certain hormones released naturally by the body that trigger an allergic reaction in the body and cause a range of ailments. Other side effects include nausea, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, severe headaches, diarrhea, depression, and hot flashes. To prevent these side effects, make sure that you take prohormones after having a healthy meal and also when you wake up in the morning.
- Prohormones UK can also be used to treat low testosterone levels and will help restore the testosterone levels to normal. However, a disadvantage of prohormone supplements is the fact that they cannot be taken by individuals under the age of 18 years old. For those who fall into this category, you can try other anabolic steroids available on the market. Prohormones are also not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
- Although using prohormones can help in building muscle, they can also have some detrimental effects in the long run. The problem with taking prohormones is that they can cause an increase in fat, water retention, and kidney-related issues. This is because these hormones can easily bind with fat and water. While this sounds good for building muscle quickly, in the long run it may do you more harm than good. It’s therefore important that you don’t use these hormones when you’re not supposed to be, or unless with the direction of a health professional.
As a result of these side effects, many athletes and bodybuilders who wish to build larger muscles and improve their athletic performance will look at other supplement alternatives. While synthetic hormones are faster acting, give faster results, and have much lower risks of side effects, they come with a price if not used properly.
And the Pros of Taking Prohormones?
While the above side effects may concern some, it’s reassuring to know that there are several benefits associated with the intake of prohormones:
- One of the main benefits of taking prohormones is that they help produce the hormones estrogen and testosterone. These two hormones are vital in both the growth and maintenance of healthy hair and skin, muscle mass, muscle strength, bone density, and all of the other aspects of male and female physiology.
- Prohormones act as a natural precursor to estrogen, thereby increasing the likelihood of conception. These supplements are effective when used to treat conditions such as infertility and male impotence.
- They also can help to reduce benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) whilst inducing a more natural anabolic effect.
- Prohormone supplements are one of the most popular weight loss aids to achieve general bodybuilding results. They can be used to increase strength, energy, and stamina as well as helping in the development of a more attractive, tighter perfect male physique.
There are alternative methods for gaining muscle fast and without the use of anabolic steroids and precursors. Some of these methods include a healthy diet, regular exercise, lots of sleep, and a healthy lifestyle. However, the proper use of prohormones offers a myriad of benefits for the body. The best way to leverage the advantages of prohormones is to take them with the guidance of a medical professional. It also helps to purchase these supplements from a reliable manufacturer or supplier.
If you decide that you want to try these types of supplements then it’s important to consult with your physician first. They will be able to tell you if these products are right for you or not. If you’re taking certain types of medications such as birth control pills and other hormone supplements, testosterone therapy may also be an issue. Your physician will be able to determine whether the benefits of prohormones’ side effects outweigh the risks.