Since ancient times, herbs and natural oils are used as natural treatments for different illnesses and diseases, including viral infections. Due to the concentration of potent plant compounds, many herbs can fight viruses. Many of the well-known natural options for herpes and cold sores are made of essential oils like oil of oregano.
It’s important to note that you must first dilute them in a carrier oil when you’re using essential oils topically so it won’t irritate and burn the skin. You can dilute them in jojoba oil, olive oil, almond oil, and the most popular of all, coconut oil.
What is Herpes?
Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that affects the genitals, skin, and cervix. It is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV) that is transmitted mainly through sexual contact. Symptoms of herpes include vaginal discharge, high body temperature or fever, tiredness, muscle aches, pain while urinating, cold sores around the mouth, and blisters in the vaginal area and cervix. Some people never have the symptoms even though they have HSV, while some experience burning, itching, and tingling at the infected area.
The blisters caused by herpes eventually erupt and breaks down rapidly into tiny, gray ulcers with a red base. After a few days, these blisters will become scabbed, crusted, and appear drier and yellow in color.
Benefits of Oregano Oil for Herpes Treatment
Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic obtained from the leaves of the oregano herb. It’s mainly used for medicinal purposes due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties. According to a study, oregano oil has a significant effect against herpes simplex virus, making it one of the most popular choices for fighting cold sores.
It can help relieve pain and itching during outbreaks of herpes, fights against further inflammation, fast-track the healing process, and prevent the infection from spreading from other parts of the body.
Studies have shown that the powerful natural antibiotic compound in oregano, called carvacrol, destroys the cell membrane of the virus to prevent its growth and reproduction. Oregano oil delivers natural antibiotics as soon as the cell membrane is dissolved, and the virus is eliminated.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Herpes
Here are two ways to use oregano oil to cure herpes:
- Steaming oregano leaves – Extract your own oregano oil from fresh oregano leaves and apply it to the skin. Here’s how to do it:
- Steam the leaves in a steamer.
- Gather the liquid obtained by using it directly to the portion of the skin affected by herpes.
- Leave the oil for about 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse and cleanse the area after treatment.
- Repeat every day until herpes is cured.
- Using oregano essential oil – Use store-bought oregano essential oil and apply it topically. Mix a few drops of oregano oil with coconut oil or olive oil and apply it to the affected area. You can also place one drop of oregano essential oil under the tongue to absorb it sublingually, directing the oil to the nervous system and into the bloodstream.
Oregano oil may cause slight irritation on the skin when used in high concentrations, so make sure to do a patch test before using it completely.
It’s best to use pure oregano oil to treat herpes, as it contains enough carvacrol to kill the herpes simplex virus.