Craving for the crunch of sweet potato chips but prefer them with no oil? Try making your own microwave sweet potato chips! It’s simple to make, yet deliciously impressive. Your family and friends won’t believe that you made it at home. It’s also a healthier alternative to those greasy potato chips you buy in the store.
Microwaving the potatoes dehydrates it, making the chips crunchy without leaving a greasy residue. These chips are great as sides to sandwiches, or as a crunchy snack while you’re binge-watching on Netflix. It’s great to try with a French onion dip, a creamy jalapeno ranch dip, or any French fry dipping sauce.
Microwave Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, rinsed and scrubbed clean (can be peeled or unpeeled)
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
What you need:
- Mandoline slicer or sharp, thin knife
- Parchment paper
- Microwave-safe plate
- Large mixing bowl
- Microwave oven
- Rinse and dry your sweet potato. Peel it using a vegetable peeler if you prefer.
- Get a microwave-safe plate and line it with parchment paper.
- Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp, thin-blade knife, slice the sweet potatoes onto 1/8 of inch-thick rounds.
- Put the round slices of sweet potato in a mixing bowl. Add oil, salt, and pepper, then toss to coat the slices.
- Place sweet potato slices in a single layer on the plate lined with parchment paper. Microwave on medium power for 1 ½ minute. Turn over the potato slices and microwave for another 1 ½ minutes. If you’re a high-power microwave, cook at 45-second increments.
- Check if chips are crispy. If not, continue to microwave in 30-second increments until it’s done. The finished product must be dry and crispy.
- Serve and consume immediately. If you’re going to have leftovers, keep the chips in an air-tight container and consume within two days.