Juicing is a fantastic way to add more nutrients from fruits and vegetables into your diet easily. You can regularly visit juice bars to start adding up nutrients to your diet. But if you’re looking for a more cost-effective, convenient, and more customizable option, then making your juice at home is the best solution. However, when you decide to make your own juices at home, you need to have a reliable juicer as well. Choosing the best juicer is not an easy task because there are lots of options to choose from and it can feel a little overwhelming.
Not all juicers can handle soft fruits, hard roots, and leafy greens equally well. Therefore, you also need to put into consideration some of these things for you to be able to pick the best one that will work for you. If you’re in search of the best juicer, you no longer have to worry because we’re here to help. Today, we are giving you ideas on the different types of juicers, some things to consider when buying a juicer, and the best juicers we can recommend as well.
The Three Main Types of Juicers
Before we give you the tips on how to find the best juicer, you need to know first the different types of juicers that you will see in the market. Here are the three main types and these represent about 80 to 90 percent of juicers that you will encounter in retail shops and online stores.
1. Centrifugal JuicerCentrifugal juicers take fruits and vegetables through a feed tube and directly into contact with a blade that will shred them. They work like a washing machine on a spin cycle. The juices from fruits and vegetables are thrown by the spinning basket’s force towards the sides of the basket and pushed through it into a jug or glass.
If the juicer is continuously ejecting, the pulp of the fruits and vegetables are forced out of the machine and into a pulp container. But if the juicer does not automatically remove pulps from the spinning basket, you will have to stop the machine and remove the pulp first when the basket becomes full before continuing to juice.
- Compared to other types of juicers, centrifugal juicers have the fewest number of parts, making them fast and easy to assemble, use, and clean.
- Centrifugal juicers are the fastest at extracting juice from fruits and vegetables, especially when your juicer has a wide feed tube that can take a whole fruit like apples and oranges, and as well as if the pulp is automatically removed.
- Centrifugal juicers can handle soft fruits better compared to other types of juicers.
- It is the most popular type of juicer, meaning, you will be able to find different brands that offer different features.
- It takes less space on the kitchen counter because it stands upright.
- On this type of juicer, more oxidation of nutrients takes place and you will notice it on the amount of foam on top of fresh juices. It still has an excellent nutritional quality, however, you need to drink the juice right away and avoid storing it.
- Less juice is extracted from centrifugal juicers. It’s because it produces lots of pulp and sometimes some juices are wasted. But this depends on the brand because there are some good brands that can produce fairly dry pulp with not much juice waste.
- Centrifugal juicers cannot process wheatgrass and other fine grasses effectively.
A centrifugal juicer is best for people who want to juice for the nutritional benefits but want to do it with as little effort, monetary investment, and time as possible.
2. Masticating Juicer
A masticating juicer is also known as a slow juicer. It utilizes a slow rotating single auger or gear that is spiral in shape to crush fruits and vegetables against a stainless steel mesh screen. It presses and chews or masticates the fruits and vegetables as they are fed into the tube. Juice is slowly extracted with this type of juicer and collected in a container that fits under the gear shaft. The pulp, on the other hand, is continuously ejected at the end of the gear shaft into a pulp container.
- A masticating juicer works at low revolutions per minute (rpm) which means, it extracts more juice from the fruits and vegetables and excel at juicing leafy greens, wheatgrass, and other grasses.
- Its slower speed preserves more nutrients compared to that of a centrifugal juicer because there is less oxidation.
- Masticating juicers can process frozen fruits as well such as strawberries and bananas for instant frozen snacks.
- Masticating juicers are not as efficient as centrifugal juicers when it comes to juicing fruits because of the softer, lower fiber content of fruit. If you want to juice a fruit using a masticating juicer, you need to include vegetables because they will help push the fruit through the screen.
- Some masticating juicers have more parts, meaning, there are more parts to be assembled and cleaned.
- They have small feed tubes in order to accommodate the size of the auger. This means that you need to cut fruits and vegetables into small pieces and feed them one by one through the tube.
- Most masticating juicers are larger in size and they will take up more space on the kitchen counter.
A masticating juicer is for those people who want the very most nutrients possible and are willing to spend more time juicing. It is also for those who plan to juice grasses and for those who want to make sorbets and nut butter but do not have a high-performance blending machine.
3. Twin Gear or Triturating Juicer
A triturating juicer is just like a masticating juicer but the difference is it uses two augers or gears. It separates the juice into two stages. It crushes the fruits and vegetables first and then presses the juice out of them. The method of a triturating juicer in extracting juice releases more soluble fiber, enzymes, vitamins, and trace minerals from the pulp which can make the juice extremely rich in nutrients. Some triturating juicers have the technology to slow down the oxidation process which is essential if you want to juice a day’s worth of juice at one time and store it to consume later.
- Triturating juicers or twin gear juicers extract the most nutrients from fruits and vegetables among all the types of juicers.
- Compared to masticating juicers, the twin augers of triturating juicers turn at a lower rpm, meaning, they can extract more juice from a wide range of leafy greens, herbs, grasses, and as well as both hard and soft fruits and vegetables.
- Triturating juicers can also even out foods to make baby foods, nut butter, and fruit sorbets.
- Among the three types of juicers, triturating juicers are the most expensive.
- Since they are slow, foods must be cut up before juicing just like in masticating juicers.
- They are also large machines that can take up more space on the kitchen counter.
A triturating juicer is best for those who already own a juicer and want to upgrade. It is also for dedicated people when it comes to juicing and for those who don’t mind the extra cost to be able to get the best nutrients from fruits, vegetables, grasses, and other herbs.
Things to Consider and Features to Look for When Buying a Juicer
After knowing the different types of juicers as well as their advantages and disadvantages, we are going to give you some tips to be able to choose the best one. Here are some of the things to consider and features to look for when choosing a juicer.
Yield or Type of ProduceTo be able to decide which type of juicer is best for you, you need to think first about what kinds of juice you’d like to make most often. This way, you can find a juicer with high yields for the produce you will be juicing.
Size and StorageYou also need to consider where you plan to place or store your juicer and how easily you want to access it. Masticating juicers can churn out high volumes of juice but it might be difficult to find space for them due to their size. They are also heavy, making them difficult to move. Therefore, when choosing a juicer, pick one that will be able to hand the volume of juice you plan to make and as well as one that will fit your kitchen counter best.
Speed and NoiseYou also need to make sure that the juicer you will choose suits your lifestyle in terms of how loud and quick it would work. If you want a quiet juicer, you can go for masticating juicers. However, if you need to make your juice fast and fresh in the morning, centrifugal juicers might work best for you because some of them can juice fruit in just 30 seconds.
Pulp EliminationYou will undoubtedly get some leftover pulp and bits of skin from your fruits and vegetables when you juice them. Some juicers collect pulps in an internal basket while some eliminate them outside of the machine into a separate collector. It’s better to choose a juicer that eliminates pulps externally so that you will not always stop the juicer to collect pulps and clean it.
- Ease of Use and Cleanup: It’s also great if you can choose a juicer that is simple to set up and take apart, and as well as easy to use and clean. But if you want a multifunction juicer that can make nut butter and baby foods, it may be worth some extra assembly. Also, cleaning juicers can be a daunting task, therefore, you need to find models that have specialized brushes to make cleaning easier and faster. And of course, a dishwasher friendly juicer is always a bonus.
- Price: Of course, you also need to set a certain price range when looking for a juicer. How much you’re willing to invest depends on how often you plan to juice and as well as the type of produce you want to juice. There are great juicers that cost less, but expensive ones also often come with a longer warranty to ensure years of quality juicing. Your choice will depend on how much you can and are willing to spend on a juicer.
The Best Juicers by Type
Now that you know the different types of juicers and the features to look for, we are also giving you recommendations on the best juicers you can get. Here are the best juicers by type.
This is a compact juicer that is one of the best for hard fruits. If you’re looking for an efficient juicer that will work effectively on hard fruits, do not hesitate to choose this centrifugal juicer. Aside from that, this juicer is easy to clean and easy to assemble. It has a solid and compact design, and it will not take up much space on your kitchen counter. It also comes with a juice container with measurements, so that you will know how much juice you’ve extracted.
If you’re on a budget, this is a great centrifugal juicer for you. This juicer comes with a single speed which is great for beginners. It is a strong, fast, and efficient juicer at a very affordable price. It works well with both soft and hard fruits and vegetables. Aside from that, this centrifugal juicer is easy to set up, dismantle, and clean.
If you want a centrifugal juicer that is energy efficient, then you will like this one. This juicer is best for conserving energy. It is also great for beginners because it comes with only one speed. It comes with a juicer container and it has a built-in froth separator. It works well for both fruits and vegetables. It is easy to assemble and clean. If you have a small kitchen counter, it’s not a problem because this centrifugal juicer has a compact size for saving space.
This centrifugal juicer features a 1,000-watt motor and as well as 5 different juicing speeds that will enable you to get the most out of your produce. It is made of sleek, durable stainless steel and it will certainly look great on any countertop. It comes with a BPA-free pitcher with lid and clear juice glass. It has a speed control panel that displays the most commonly juiced items by category to help you choose the best setting to maximize juice extraction. Some of the options are hard vegetables, citrus, and soft fruits.
This centrifugal juicer is a pro when it comes to making a fresh blend of home-made juice. But it is not just a stay-at-home juicer because it is also being used in restaurants. It features an impressive feed chute that can fit whole fruits, reducing your time in chopping and preparing. It is powered by a 1,000-watt motor and comes with 2-speed controls that allow a hassle-free and customized juicing. What’s great is its parts are removable and all are dishwasher-safe.
This is probably the best masticating juicer on the market. It has a bigger feed chute and unlike other masticating juicers, this one works great with leafy greens. It has an adjustable cap and larger screen that can facilitate larger juice yields from leafy greens. It is also an adaptable juicer and it can be used for making nut butter and sorbets aside from juicing fruits and vegetables. The juice from this masticating juicer can be stored up to 72 hours. The juicer is also very easy to clean and assemble.
If you’re looking for a superlative masticating juicer that will look great on your kitchen counter, then this product is perfect for you. It works at an ideal speed of 60 rpm and it is a very quiet juicer. Its motor has 240 watts of power and its masticating power will ensure high nutrient retention, as well as outstanding juice yield. This juicer is equipped with an auto-feeding design, making it fast and easy to operate. It also comes with a drip-free smart cap which is great for making mixed juices.
This is a very efficient masticating juicer that can even deal with grains and it excels as a slow juicer. This is a heavy juicer, weighing 26 pounds and it’s best for you if you do not plan to move your juicer a lot. This juicer is upgradeable with special attachments for grains and wheatgrass. But this juicer is more suitable to produce other than greens. It is a great juicer if you plan to juice fruits, whether hard or soft. It is quicker than average masticating juicers which can save you time as well.
This is different from most masticating juicers because it is a vertical juice which takes up very little counter space. However, it has a smaller chute, meaning, you need to slice other fruits and veggies before juicing them. This juicer spins at a slow 80 rpm, reducing oxidation and allowing longer storage of juice. This is a great juicer if you will be juicing fruits and vegetables. It does not work well with leafy greens as its primary ingredient but you can mix some fruits with it to help push the leafy greens.
This is a slow juicer that can extract both soft and hard fruits and as well as all fibrous vegetables and other leafy greens. Its parts can be all disassembled and are easy to assemble as well. It also comes with a cleaning brush for easy cleaning. It features safety protection by pushing down its “R” switch to prevent clogging. It only has a speed of 80 rpm, meaning, it can keep high nutritional value, making your juice healthier and filled with nutrients.
Twin Gear / Triturating Juicers
This twin gear juicer can work exceptionally with leafy greens and wheatgrass. It has a unique design that looks great and a beautifully built exterior that is made of steel for durability. This juicer is heavy duty and bears a high-powered motor, and is cold-press. It is an ideal juicer to make healthy options for your whole family. This juicer is easy to clean as well because it has detachable parts that you can either hand wash or throw in the top rack of your dishwasher. Aside from juicing, you can also use it to make healthier alternative butter, soy, and almond milk.
This juicer is best for those who wish for some super nutrients first thing before the sun comes up. It’s because this twin gear juicer has the motor power to produce large batches of juice. But even though it has a powerful motor, it works in incredible silence. In fact, it only produces a hissing sound that will not wake up anybody in your home. This is a great option for vegetables and wheatgrass. And it is also excellent with fruits and ginger roots.
This juicer can produce higher quantities of juice with even higher levels of nutrition. You can use this juicer for a wide range of fruits, vegetables, wheatgrass, and even nuts. It is great for soft fruits as well. It comes with accessories such as wood and plastic plungers and a glass pitcher. You can also adjust the pressure of this juicer depending on the type of produce being juiced. Its mechanism also prevents the pulp from clogging and jamming. Aside from juicing, it is also versatile and can be used to make pates, sauces, sorbets, and baby foods.
These are some of the best juicers we can recommend. Juicing is indeed a great addition to a healthy lifestyle and it is very easy to do once you have a reliable juicer at home. We hope the information, tips, and products we shared will be able to help you determine the best type of juicer for you and help you find the perfect juicer that will suit your needs.