What is Nutmeg ?
Nutmeg (also known as pala in Indonesia) is one of the two spices – the other being mace – derived from several species of tree in the genus Myristica. The most important commercial species is Myristica fragrans, an evergreen tree indigenous to the Banda Islands in the Moluccas (or Spice Islands) of Indonesia.
Nutmeg is the seed of the tree, roughly egg-shaped and about 20 to 30 mm (0.8 to 1.2 in) long and 15 to 18 mm (0.6 to 0.7 in) wide, and weighing between 5 and 10 g (0.2 and 0.4 oz) dried, while mace is the dried “lacy” reddish covering or aril of the seed. The first harvest of nutmeg trees takes place 7–9 years after planting, and the trees reach full production after twenty years. Nutmeg is usually used in powdered form. This is the only tropical fruit that is the source of two different spices. Several other commercial products are also produced from the trees, including essential oils, extracted oleoresins, and nutmeg butter.
Nutmeg tree yields up to three times in a season. Once harvested from the tree, its outer coat or husk is removed and discarded. Just underneath the tough husk is the golden-brown color aril, known as “mace,” which firmly enveloping around the nutmeg kernel. Mace is gently peeled-off from its kernel surface, flattened into strips, dried, and sold either as whole (blades) or finely ground powder. Nutmeg kernel is then dried under the sun for several days to weeks. At larger commercial set-ups, this process is accomplished rather more rapidly over a hot drier machine until the whole nutmeg rattles inside the shell.
Its shell is then cu-open and a single, shriveled nutmeg kernel is then taken out. Finally, nuts are dipped in lime-water in order to prevent insect infestation and seed germination.
What are the Health Benefits of Nutmeg (Pala) for your body and Beauty ?
Here are some Health Benefits of Nutmeg (Pala) for your body and Beauty :
- Natural painkillers
- Digestive Health
- Brain Health
- Body Detoxification
- Oral health
- Skin Health
- Blood Pressure and Circulation
- Since ancient times, nutmeg and its oil were being used in Chinese and Indian traditional medicines for illnesses related to the nervous and digestive systems. The compounds in this spice such as myristicin and elemicin have been soothing as well as stimulant properties on brain.
- Nutmeg oil contains eugenol, which has been used in dentistry for toothache relief.
- The oil is also used as a local massage to reduce muscular pain and rheumatic pain of joints.
- Freshly prepared decoction with honey has been used to relief of nausea, gastritis, and indigestion ailments.
Thus I created this article to provide information on the “Health Benefits of Nutmeg (Pala) for your body and Beauty” may be able to give a good knowledge for the readers. If this article is pleased and feel good, would you to share this article via Facebook, Twitter (@D_Vegetarian) so your friends know this information.
Good Luck 🙂