Korma, also spelled kormaa, qorma, khorma, or kurma, is a dish originating in South Asia or Central Asia consisting of meat and/or vegetables braised in a spiced sauce made with yogurt, cream, nut or seed paste.
Phoenix dactylifera (date or date palm) is a flowering plant species in the palm family Arecaceae, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Although its place of origin is unknown because of long cultivation, it probably originated from lands around Iraq. The species is widely cultivated and is reportedly naturalized in Australia, Spain, Italy, North Africa, the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde, the Sahel region of Africa, Mauritius, Réunion, Afghanistan, Pakistan (Khairpur), Bangladesh, India, Israel, Iran, China, (Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan), Fiji, New Caledonia, the United States (California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Puerto Rico), northern Mexico, El Salvador, the Leeward Islands, the Cayman Islands, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic.
What nutrients are there in the dates? A lot indeed! Here are sweet, delicious fruits from the tropical oasis, brimming with much-needed minerals and energy to help you stay fit and healthy.
Botanically, they are the fruits grow on the palm tree belonging to the family of Arecaceae, in the genus: Phoenix, and scientifically named as Phoenix dactylifera. The tree is believed to originate in the lands on the banks of Nile and Euphrates Rivers of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. Date palm is now grown extensively for its edible fruits under warmer climates across all the continents.
The date fruit is a “drupe”, in which its outer fleshy part (exocarp and mesocarp) surrounds a shell (the pit or stone) of hardened endocarp with a seed inside. The fruit is oval to cylindrical in shape, 3–7 cms long, and 2–3 cms diameter, and ripe dates range from golden-yellow, amber, bright red to deep brown depending on the cultivar type.
There are many varieties of date palm cultivated. ‘Amir Hajj’, ‘Saidy’, ‘Khadrawy’ and ‘Medjool’ are some of the important varieties popular for their rich taste, flavor, and superior quality.
What are the Health benefits of Date Palm (Korma/Kurma) for Weight Loss (Diet)?
Here are some Health benefits of Date Palm (Korma/Kurma) for Weight Loss (Diet)
Palm fruit in calories that can be used as a meal replacement for weight, thus preventing hunger longer. Therefore, palm fruit is suitable for you who are on a diet program in comparison with the type of other fruits. Palm fruit are safe for consumption by people who are on a diet because the palm fruit is free of fat, cholesterol-free and sodium-free that can lead to obesity. Palm fruit can be used as a companion to a healthy diet because it does not contain excess sugar.
Palm fruit is rich in potassium, besides palm fruit is rich in a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that can be useful for those who run a healthy diet program. To make the fruit of the date palm as a companion diet to lose weight, you must be clever to choose a date palm fruit is good for consumption. Pick a date palm fruit which does not emit odors and excess sugar that can be seen from the color of his skin that has been crystallized. Palm fruit can last up to one year if stored in the refrigerator, if stored in a jar would only last for one month.
The benefits of dates for the diet is extremely beneficial for those who crave a slim body, because palm fruit in addition to weight loss is also very safe and will not cause side effects. How to consume palm fruit to the diet, you can consume palm fruit is ripe with warm water or juice can also be mixed with other fruits that are suitable for diets such as apples, mangoes, strawberries and other fruits that do not contain sugar and excess fat.
To obtain satisfactory results, preferably accompanied by regular exercise each day to burn body fat which accumulates and balanced with lots of water to drink at least 8 glasses per day. In addition, you should control your sleep should not be excessive and do not sleep after eating. By the time you get up in the morning, try to drink a glass of warm water and try to drink fruit juice were added to the palm in the morning before breakfast. do diets with palm fruit with patience because the natural diet program cannot instantaneously in losing weight. For that you must be patient and consistent run.
- Health Benefits of Salak Fruit for Weight Loss (Diet)
- What the Health Benefits of Kaffir Lime for Weight Loss (Diet) and Beauty
Other Health benefits of dates:
- Wonderfully delicious, dates are one of the most popular fruits packed with an impressive list of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are required for normal growth, development, and overall well-being.
- Fresh dates compose of soft, easily digestible flesh and simple sugars like fructose and dextrose. 100 g of Medjool dates hold 277 calories. When eaten, they replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly. For these qualities, they are being served to break the fast during Ramadan month since ancient times.
- The fruit is rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut. Additionally, the fiber works as a bulk laxative. It, thus, helps to protect the colon mucous membrane from cancer-causing chemicals binding to it in the colon.
- They contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins. Tannins are known to possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties.
- They are moderate sources of vitamin-A (contains 149 IU per 100 g), which is known to have antioxidant properties and essential for vision. Additionally, it is also required maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin A is known to help protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- They compose antioxidant flavonoids such as ß-carotene, lutein, and zea-xanthin. These antioxidants found to have the ability to protect cells and other structures in the body from harmful effects of oxygen-free radicals. Thus, eating dates found to offer some protection from colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers.
- Zea-xanthin is an important dietary carotenoid that selectively absorbed into the retinal macula lutea, where it thought to provide antioxidant and protective light-filtering functions. It thus offers protection against age-related macular degeneration, especially in elderly populations.
- Dates are an excellent source of iron, carry 0.90 mg/100 g of fruits (about 11% of RDI). Iron, being a component of hemoglobin inside the red blood cells, determines the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
- Further, they are an excellent source of potassium. 100 g contains 696 mg or 16% of daily-recommended levels of this electrolyte. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure. They, thus, offers protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases.
- Date fruits are also rich in minerals like calcium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Calcium is an important mineral that is an essential constituent of bone and teeth, and required by the body for muscle contraction, blood clotting, and nerve impulse conduction. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Copper is required to produce red blood cells. Magnesium is essential for bone growth.
- Further, the fruit has moderate levels of B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It contains incredibly good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. These vitamins are acting as cofactors help body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Vitamin K is essential for many coagulant factors in the blood as well as in bone metabolism.
As you can see, there are many reasons to eat date palms for weight loss as well as for other health benefits.